Social Media

I don't understand why everyone complains about social media as if its some sort of destroyer of the social fabric of our relationships. I, for one, am a huge fan of social media and all of the over-sharing that comes with it. In many ways, I think it strengthens our existing real life bonds.

One of the interesting by-products of social media has been the opportunity to be "friended" by acquaintances...people with whom I have only had a casual and passing relationship with. Instead of these relationships dying on the vine, social media has allowed me to revisit those that for whatever reason never were given the opportunity to develop. For example, I think about how individuals who I used to only be classmates with in high school. Our relationship being nothing more than a blur of passing each other in the hall or in the cafeteria. Because we reconnected years later through various social networks, I now feel closer to many of my classmates thanks to our relationship online. Our High School awkwardness may have kept us apart but now, when I see them in person, we have a bond that didn't exist before. That is a direct result of status updates, tweets, instagram snapshots, etc. Without social media, the tether that bound us together for four years as adolescents would have just deteriorated over time.

Another positive aspect of social media is that it is a constant mirror and magnifying glass on myself and who I choose to surround myself with. Before posting anything online, I really try to be aware of whether or not it is an accurate reflection of who I am. The ability to get constant feedback from others in your life helps focus who you are and makes you acutely aware of how others perceive you. Social media is not just a place where I share random thoughts but where I share thoughts that I am ready to defend and sometimes fight for.

Yes, there are negative aspects of having an online presence. It makes you vulnerable to identity theft, stalking, etc. Unfortunately, there are some very bad people that try to use the strengths of the internet against us. We can mitigate most of these issues by taking the extra few seconds to setup proper security steps. It will save you hours of headaches later. In addition, don't be afraid to back out of a relationship that makes you feel awkward. If someone crosses the line, let them know and then disengage.

Like any other medium or tool, social media needs to be used responsibly. However, instead of focusing on all of the negative aspects of this wonderful technology, I suggest using it as a way to strengthen your existing relationships, nurture your weaker ones and help you become a better and more honest version of yourself.

Comments