November 8th, 2016

I have tried to stay quiet about politics so I'll try to be brief. One vote represents a complicated balance of issues that affect the world, our nation, our community and us as individuals. In the end, we measure which candidate best represents our needs and calms our fears and then cast our ballot.

I try to keep an open mind going into every election but, yes, I have my own bias. My mind was finally made up early in the campaign after two quotes that I felt were attacks on people in my life..not just colleagues, friends and extended family but my mother, my stepdad (a 25-year retired veteran of the Chicago Police Department), and my wife. Although these quotes weren't directed at them personally, it used a broad enough brush that has allowed others to see them through the tint of these statements...and I don't want my daughters to grow up in a world where their family members are judged first on where they came from. That is not the America I know and love.

I don't believe in a rigged election...I believe in America and the Good of It's People. Ultimately, our Country is defined by Us, not by the Executive Branch of the Government.

If you're curious about the quotes:

  • "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems to us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists."

  • "But you have people coming in and I'm not just saying Mexicans, I'm talking about people that are from all over that are killers and rapists and they're coming into this country."

Whether the Candidate meant it or not or was "off-message" or "misspoke", doesn't matter. It was said and the people who believe these statements heard it and now feel empowered. I fear that their brazen boost of confidence will continue well past November 8th. Do all of the Candidate's supporters believe this? Of course not...many have very legitimate points and concerns which need to continue to be discussed. My point is that the people who do believe this rhetoric now feel emboldened to actively engage others about this...and, more scary, empowered to do something about it.

I'm not here to change minds. I'm here to urge you to use your right and vote for whichever candidate serves you best.

Comments